Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This can be used in place of the glazed fruit you buy to put into baking such as christmas cake.A church group I know bakes and sells Christmas cakes and other baking useing this glazed fruit. I haven't made it myself (but will be this year since I will be planting Zucchini)I also know of a number of other people who have made this recipe and said it was excellent, just like the bought fruit ,except for the cost. Zucchini season will be coming up, have this recipe handy
- Day 1:Pare, remove seeds and cube in 1/4" cubes to fill an ice cream pail.
- Cover with 1 cup of vinigar mixed with 1 cup of water.
- soak overnight.
- DAY 2 morning:Drain, rinse well,drain again.
- Squeese between tea towels.
- For every cup of Zucchini add 3/4 cup sugar.
- Mix well.
- Leave until it gets moist.
- Cook in a large flat pan (a roaster works well).
- Stir continuously and boil 15 minutes uncovered.
- THAT NIGHT: bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- DAY 3:Boil 10 minutes.
- divide into three portions.
- Sprinkle each portion with a package of unsweetened kool-aid in a variety of colours (red, green, yellow).
- cool separately.
- Let stand for several hours.
- Mix together and freeze in plastic containers.
- Prep time does not include standing time.
- Times and yield are appoximate.
I have made a similar recipe to this in the past and it is wonderful. I use it in my Christmas backing for anything that calls for mixed fruit. Last Christmas a tub of Glazed Cherries was over $10.00. It is well worth the time it takes to make it, if you have a lot of zucchini to use up.