Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- Mash 1 pt of the strawberries, using a fork, and set aside.
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a 3 quart sauce pan.
- Stir in the water and mashed berries.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil, then cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the food coloring.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Fold in the remaining 2 pts of strawberries and turn into the baked pie shell.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- To serve, top with puffs of
- sweetened whipped cream
i convinced my mother to make this at her last barbeque and it was a huge hit! you can even omit the pie crust and just pour the strawberry mixture over pound cake. add some whipped cream and you've got easy strawberry shortcake!
This pie is absolutely delicious. My whole family devoured it, and my 4 year old was thrilled that it was easy enough for her to help out! My only wish is that the strawberry measurement had been in pounds. It could have saved me some time. (I researched online and the answer to "how many pounds to make 3 pints" was either 1.5, 2, or 3 depending on which site I read! I ended up using 2.)
Great recipe. I did not add the food colouring, but did add a squeeze of fresh lemon to the water. I am not sure why, but for some reason my MIL taught me to do that with this exact recipe. Really good. Really easy.