Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are fabulous, good for a crowd, kinda casual and very sticky. But so good. I've been making these since the seventies and guests are disappointed if they aren't on the appy table.
- 6 lbs chicken wings
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- Oven to 400.
- Bake 30 minutes, turn once.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, ginger, and pepper in a saucepan on the stove.
- Add water, lemon, and soy sauce.
- Mix together, bring to simmer, cook until slightly thickened.
- Brush sauce over wings.
- Continue baking and basting until chicken is richly glazed, about another 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with lemon slices.
Made these for a recent get-togther, although not in the quantities listed in recipe. They were heartily received - I used mixed chicken pieces to cater for personal choices, they must have been good, as there weren't any leftovers. One comment was that the flavour wasn't too strong, nice and subtle and tasty.
These are very tasty, I scaled down the quantity and used fresh ginger in the recipe. I cut the tips of the chicken wings and cut them in half as you said they were sticky and they were. Making them smaller made them good for finger food which I used them for.
I guess it depends on what ingredients you use, but with fresh ginger and lemon juice we totally loved these wings! I did cut down on the salt and used low sodium soy sauce too!