Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
"Just like on a cup of eggnog, a dusting of nutmeg is scattered over these buttery cookies." YUM!
- Heat oven to 350°.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and 1 cup butter with mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in vanilla, 2 tsp rum flavor and the egg until smooth. Beat in flour and 1 tsp nutmeg.
- Place 1/4 of the dough at a time in cookie press.
- On ungreased cookie sheet, form desired shapes with dough.
- Bake 6-10 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; form desired shapes with dough.
- In small bowl, stir all glaze ingredients except nutmeg with spoon until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Pour mixture into small resealable plastic food-storage bag; cut off tiny corner of bag. Squeeze bag to drizzle glaze on cookies. Before glaze is set, sprinkle 1/2 tsp nutmeg over cookies.
We added this to out Christmas cookie repertoire last year and I had to come back to find it again because it went over so well! It definitely replaced our previous spritz doughs. Also, we used more rum than called for (maybe double?) because, according to my mother, 'That just isn't enough!'
The eggnog taste really comes through in this cookie. I have made other cookies with eggnog in the recipe but this has much better eggnog flavor, could it be the Rum extract? This recipe is what I have been looking for, Thank you.
My new favorite cookie!!! Who would have thought you can get an 'eggnog' taste without using that thick FATTENING stuff!? I did sprinkle nutmeg on top and took them to work with me. Got RAVES! The whole batch was gone by noon and there are only 5 employees here. I'm GRATEFUL for this holiday recipe-it will be a new tradition! And they are so pretty. I'm going to make some more and add a photo!