Recipe by Darlene Summers
These are a far cry from Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, but they are excellent doughnuts!!! Glazed is my favorite, but you can use your imagination and make filled doughnuts, powdered sugar, chocolate iced or whatever you like.
- 1 1⁄4 cups scalded milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 5 cups flour (sifted)
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk (approximately)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, shortening, and salt; cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and let set for 5 minutes.
- Add 2-1/2 cups sifted flour, beating till smooth.
- Cover and let rise till bubbly.
- Add eggs and sugar, mix well.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a dough that can be kneaded.
- Knead till smooth.
- Cover and let rise to double.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with doughnut cutter.
- Let rise again till double.
- Fry in deep hot oil, at 375°F till golden brown on one side and then turn. Drain on paper towels.
- GLAZE: Mix powdered sugar and vanilla and milk using 1 tablespoon at a time till glaze is consistency you desire. You may need a little more or less milk, according to how thick you want your glaze.