Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tangy glaze cuts the sweetness of the bread
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, plus
- 1 tablespoon sweetened flaked coconut
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt, mix well.
- In a large bowl beat sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add bananas, yogurt, vanilla and rum, beat well.
- Add flour mixture, beat well.
- Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and top with 1 tbsp coconut.
- Bake for 1 hr or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan, cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and lime juice to make a glaze, spoon over cooled bread.
Excellent.. I love this recipe. It is great even without the lime glaze, but the glase adds an extra kick to it. I only use 1/4 cup of powder sugar. We don't like it too sweet. Everyone needs to try this recipe.
Made this and entered it in the bakery contest at our county fair. It won a blue ribbon and 2nd in "best in class". Also took it to my moms for Easter dinner. We heated it up a little and most of us spread our slices with a little butter-- heavenly! It was delicious and we ate it as an appetizer, and by the time the meal was ready, not a crumb was left! Next time I make this (and there will be a next time), I think I will use over-ripe bananas for a stronger banana taste.
YUMMY! This is a fantastic tasting & extremely moist bread. I just loved it! The only suggestion i could make is: when you take it out of the oven use a toothpick to poke several holes on the top so that the lime glaze really soaks down into the bread. it's too yummy to have all drip off the sides! YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY-thanks for a great alternative to the typical banana bread!