Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Here's an unusual cake recipe that comes from The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995.
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 lb yam
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup carrot juice
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, grated
- FOR THE CAKE ~ Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prick yams with a fork in several places, then place on baking sheet & bake until tender, about 45 minutes, then remove from oven to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel yams & mash.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F, then, with cooking spray, generously coat inside of a 9"x13" baking dish & set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, allspice & cloves, then set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together mashed yams, granulated sugar, brown sugar & vegetable oil until light & fluffy.
- Beat in egg whites until well combined, then fold in the shredded carrot.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk & carrot juice, then alternately fold this mixture AND the flour mixture into yam mixture, beginning & ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top, then bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- FOR THE GLAZE ~ In a medium bowl, stir together powdered sugar, orange juice & orange zest, then drizzle over cooled cake.