1/1 Photo of Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
veghead in ny's Note:
This cake is simply delicious, I made it for Thanksgiving and my family was passing over Pumpkin Pie to eat it! It came out of the October 2007 issue of Country Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon orange food coloring
- 1Heat oven to 375°F.
- 2Line the bottoms of two 8 or 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and lightly butter.
- 3Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- 4Stir the buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- 5Beat the butter and sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- 6Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time.
- 7Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternately beat in the flour and buttermilk mixtures in thirds.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- 9Bake until a tester, inserted into the center, comes out clean--about 35 mins (NOTE: if you're using nonstick cake pans, check around 25 mins as they cook faster).
- 10Cool layers completely before icing.
- 12Beat cream cheese using a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- 13Add 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and vanilla and beat on slow speed until well combined.
- 14In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream with 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and the food coloring on medium-high speed to soft peaks.
- 15Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- 16Spread 1 cup frosting between the two layers and use the remaining frosting to ice the top and sides of the cake.
- 17Chill for 30 mins and proceed to the glaze.
- 19Place chopped bittersweet chocolate, butter, and corn syrup in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring heavy cream to a boil, pour it over the chocolate, and let sit for 3 minutes.
- 20Gently stir, using a whisk, until smooth.
- 21Let sit for 3-5 min, until the glaze thickens slightly.
- 22Pour the glaze onto the center of the frosted cake and use the back of a spoon to spread it out to the edges of the cake, allowing some to spill over.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.0
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 130.0 mg
- Sodium 374.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 5.7 g