1/1 Photo of Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
veghead in ny's Note:
This cake is simply delicious, I made it for Thanksgiving and my family was passing over Pumpkin Pie to eat it! It came out of the October 2007 issue of Country Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon orange food coloring
- 1Heat oven to 375°F.
- 2Line the bottoms of two 8 or 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and lightly butter.
- 3Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- 4Stir the buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- 5Beat the butter and sugars together using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- 6Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time.
- 7Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternately beat in the flour and buttermilk mixtures in thirds.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- 9Bake until a tester, inserted into the center, comes out clean--about 35 mins (NOTE: if you're using nonstick cake pans, check around 25 mins as they cook faster).
- 10Cool layers completely before icing.
- 12Beat cream cheese using a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- 13Add 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and vanilla and beat on slow speed until well combined.
- 14In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream with 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and the food coloring on medium-high speed to soft peaks.
- 15Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- 16Spread 1 cup frosting between the two layers and use the remaining frosting to ice the top and sides of the cake.
- 17Chill for 30 mins and proceed to the glaze.
- 19Place chopped bittersweet chocolate, butter, and corn syrup in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring heavy cream to a boil, pour it over the chocolate, and let sit for 3 minutes.
- 20Gently stir, using a whisk, until smooth.
- 21Let sit for 3-5 min, until the glaze thickens slightly.
- 22Pour the glaze onto the center of the frosted cake and use the back of a spoon to spread it out to the edges of the cake, allowing some to spill over.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.0
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 130.0 mg
- Sodium 374.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 50.8 g
- Protein 5.7 g