Recipe by Carin C.
I am going to try this dish for a Christmas potluck. It's from the Cook's Illustrated February 2005 issue.
Top Review by jimjam63
Delicious. Easy. What more do you need in a side? OK, maybe healthy? It's more healthy that a box of mac and cheese! For a little punch I also added 5 pieces of dried whole ginger and removed after cooking.
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 lb medium carrot, peeled and sliced on the bias about 1/4 wide
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into 4 pieces
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring cranberries, carrots, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, chicken broth, orange zest, and orange juice to boil, covered, in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are almost tender when poked with tip of paring knife, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar to the skillet.
- Toss the carrots to coat and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are completely tender and the glaze is light gold, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the carrots to a serving dish, scraping the glaze from the pan into the dish.
- Season to taste with pepper and serve immediately.