- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally 1/2-inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 3⁄4 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin matchstick strips
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable stock)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and half of the butter in a large skillet. Add carrots in a single layer and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, then start turning the slices with tongs and reduce heat if necessary. When slightly browned on both sides, transfer to a plate.
- Clean skillet with paper towels. Add the ginger and cook over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Add to the carrots on the plate.
- Add remaining butter, the whiskey and broth. Bring to boil, then simmer 3 minutes or until syrupy. Return carrots and ginger to pan, and swirl with the syrup for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.