Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love carrots. If I remember correctly, this one came from or was adapted from the 1970s cookbook The Vegetarian Epicure. It has sort of a sweet-and-sour taste.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs slender carrots, cut in 1 inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in a medium skillet and add the carrots through salt plus ¾ cup water.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, covered, 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and raise heat to high.
- Cook, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes until nearly all the liquid evaporates.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbs butter plus the vinegar through nutmeg.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until all the sugar is melted and the glaze is thick enough to coat carrots.
- Serve immediately.
Very good glazed carrots. I made then just like the recipe said. they turned out great, but, had to let them set for awhile, this is not a good idea as the glaze gets runny. The taste is great I will make them again, but will serve right away. Thank you for posting the recipe.
Let me start by saying I don't like carrots but this recipe has changed my mind :) This will be made again Thanks for posting
This recipe did not meet my expectations. They tasted a little too sour even after adding more brown sugar. Glaze did not thicken. Won't make again.