I love carrots. If I remember correctly, this one came from or was adapted from the 1970s cookbook The Vegetarian Epicure. It has sort of a sweet-and-sour taste.
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in a medium skillet and add the carrots through salt plus ¾ cup water.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, covered, 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and raise heat to high.
- Cook, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes until nearly all the liquid evaporates.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbs butter plus the vinegar through nutmeg.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until all the sugar is melted and the glaze is thick enough to coat carrots.
- Serve immediately.