Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Moist cake packed full of fruit, carrots, nuts and spices. Moist cake is covered with a buttery glaze while still hot. Cream cheese frosting completes this gourmet quality cake; a caterers delight.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, squeezed
- Prepare Cake;.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Butter bottoms of 2 9 " round cake pans and fit with 2 circles of parchment paper. Butter the sides and paper and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 2 cups granulated sugar, and vanilla extract together until combined; about 2 minutes and stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the pineapple, carrots, pecans, raisins and coconut and stir to combine.
- Divide batter between pans and bake about 45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Make the glaze:.
- About 8 minutes before cakes are done, bring the corn syrup, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter to a medium boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour all of the glaze on the hot cakes in their pans.
- Cool cakes in pans on a wire rack.
- Make cream cheese frosting:.
- Place the cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter in a bowl and beat using a mixer set on high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Stop mixer and add the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Resume mixing on medium speed until frosting is creamy smooth.
- Assemble cake:.
- Unmold cakes and place 1 layer on a cake plate.
- Spread a third of the frosting over the layer, top with the remaining layer.
- Frost cake top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Pipe carrots and leaves with decorator frosting .