Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a basic recipe for glazed baby carrots, made "dump" fashion to go with your frozen main dish. This can be made with baby carrots, peeled and sliced whole carrots, or even frozen sliced carrots. If using the frozen ones, don't thaw for doing step one.
- 1 lb carrot
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine in a freezer container and mix.
- Seal, removing as much air as possible. Freeze.
- Defrost. Pour into small saucpan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until your carrots are tender.
- Add cornstarch, stirring constantly. Simmer 2 minutes longer or until sauce thickens.
- If cooking for small children or other picky eaters, leave out the dill and add a bit more sugar.
I really wanted to like this recipe. REALLY. My kids love carrots, even cooked, and I am always looking for more OAMC/freezer friendly side dishes. But although the flavor of the glaze was good, we just couldn't get over the texture of the carrots. It is hard to explain why the texture was so off-putting, so let's just say it was very off-putting to us. I am so sorry, I won't be making this again.
This is sooo good! I made ahead of time and froze in individual bags. Once, I didn't have enough lead time so I took straight from the freezer to the stovetop. I think if I had let it sit in cold water for 30 minutes it would have cooked a little better. The time I actually let it thaw before cooking was fantastic! I'm making this one again!