Recipe by Annacia
A lemon glaze tops a springtime combination of fresh asparagus and carrots. From: Irish Culture and Customs.
Top Review by macharr
This is a wonderful combination. I modified the glaze by adding a bit more water and a little sugar to cut the tartness, and I put more toasted pecans on top, but the fundamental character of this recipe is wonderful. I recently prepared a casserole dinner for 20, and at least half of them went for seconds of this dish
- 1 cup water
- 3 large carrots, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1 cup water in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Bring to a full boil; add carrots and asparagus.
- Cover; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until carrots and asparagus are crisply tender (7 to 9 minutes).
- Set aside; keep warm.
- Melt butter in same skillet.
- Stir together cornstarch, 3 tablespoons water and lemon juice in small bowl; stir into butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in lemon peel.
- To serve, spoon sauce over warm carrots and asparagus.
- Sprinkle with pecans.