Recipe by BecR
These individual little tarts - tartlets are perfect for tea-time, or anytime! You may serve them with a tiny dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream, and a tiny edible flower, if you wish.
Frangipane Pastry Crust
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 -10 fresh apricots
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or the beans scraped from 1 vanilla pod)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 -3 teaspoons water
- icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To Prepare Crust:.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixture until smooth.
- Add one egg, beating until smooth. Gradually add 1/4 cup ground almonds and the flour, beating at low speed until just combined (dough will be sticky).
- Cover and chill dough for 1 hour. Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls; press into bottom and two-thirds up sides of each cup of a miniature muffin pan, or 1 large tart tin.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To Make Filling:.
- In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, melted butter, cream, 2 eggs, the vanilla, the almond extract, 1/2 cup ground almonds, and the lemon zest. Whisk to combine.
- Spoon filling mixture into each crust.
- Pit and slice apricots. Arrange apricot slices over the top of each tart.
- To make glaze, mix apricot jam with a little water, brush over tops of fruit.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Dust tops with icing sugar while still warm.