Recipe by evelyn/athens
Good everyday dish. Kids really like it.
Top Review by Derf
I made this a few nights ago for DH, being diabetic I can't eat it; sometimes I have to do special things for him. He says these are definately 5* and will be asking for them again. He enjoyed the apricot taste and the bit of bite of the chili paste, ginger and garlic. I cut the recipe in half and used light soy sauce. He says they were particularly good cold. I used 2 legs with the thigh attached, cut each in half. He says Thanks for the treat!!
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon black bean paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste (I used Rooster brand - hot!) (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 1 chicken, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in a mouli or blender and zap until garlic disintegrates.
- Place chicken in ziploc bag and pour in marinade.
- Zip up and massage chicken well with marinade.
- Refrigerate anywhere from 4-24 hours (mine was in the fridge for about 22).
- Giving the bag a couple of turns during the day to redistribute the marinade.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place chicken, skin-side-up in a large, shallow roasting pan and roast 1 hour or until chicken is golden-brown.
- Baste a couple of times.
- This made lovely drippings and lots of them.
- So I boiled up a batch of rice using the drippings for part of the water.
- Very flavourful!