Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Apple pie--an all time favorite crowd pleasing treat. Great for any Special Ocassion. Makes 3 dozen bars.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated reserve white (yolk beaten with enough milk to equal 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup corn flakes cereal, crushed
- 8 cups cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced (8 to 10 med apples)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg white (reserved egg white)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- heat oven to 350*F.
- in medium bowl combine flour and salt, cut in butter until crumbly. with fork stir in egg yolk and milk until dough forms a ball; divide in half.
- on lightly floured surface roll half of dough into 15x10" retangle; place on bottom of ungreased 15x10x1" jelly roll pan.
- sprinkle with cereal, layer apples over cereal.
- in small bowl combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg, sprinkle over apples.
- roll remaining half dough into 151/2x101/2" rectangle, place over apples.
- in small bowl beat egg white with fork until foamy, brush over top crust.
- in small bowl stir together 2 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, sprinkle over crust.
- bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- in small bowl stir together all glaze ingredients, drizzle over warm crust.
- cut into bars.