1/2 Photos of Glazed Apple Lattice Coffee Cake
5 hrs 45 mins
This is from Bon Appétit's October 2007 issue. I made this for a tea party, everyone loved it. Don't let the long list fool you, it's really not that complicated to make and it turns out beautiful--it will really impress your friends. Hint: you will need to let the dough rise, plan to make this a day ahead, or plan other activities to do in the house while it rises.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced, room temp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 -2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons golden brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 lbs golden delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- non stick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup vanilla wafer cookie, finely crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (no-pulp)
- 1For Dough:.
- 2Place two tablespoons warm water in small cup. Mix in yeast and let stand until yeast dissolves, about 6 minutes.
- 3Stir milk, sugar, butter (5 tablespoons), and salt in medium saucepan over medium-low heat just until sugar dissolves and butter melts (mixture should be just warm).
- 4Scrape milk mixture into large bowl; cool to lukewarm if necessary.
- 5Whisk yeast, eggs, orange zest (1 teaspoon) and spices (1/2 tsp cardamom and 1/4 tsp nutmeg) into milk mixture.
- 6Add 2 cups flour to liquid mixture and combine with rubber spatula until dough comes together.
- 7Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead until smooth and silky, sprinkling with more flour as needed, about 6 minutes.
- 8Place in clean large bowl and cover with plastic wrap and kitchen towel. Allow to rise until light and almost doubled in volume, about 2 1/2 hours.
- 9For Filling:.
- 10Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- 11Add brown sugar. Cook until thick grainy sauce forms, about 1 minute.
- 12Mix in apples. Cook until apples are tender and sauce is reduced to glaze, tossing often, about 7 minutes.
- 13Mix in all zest (1 tsp orange, 1 tsp lemon) and spices (cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg).
- 14Cool filling at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- 15To assemble:.
- 16Place large sheet of foil on work surface; spray with nonstick spray.
- 17Turn dough out onto foil and roll out to 14 X 12 inch rectangle.
- 18Sprinkle cookie crumbs in 4-inch wide strip down center of dough, leaving 1/2 inch border at top and bottom.
- 19Arrange apples with any juices atop crumbs.
- 20Starting 1/2 inch from each long side of apples, cut straight to edge of dough at 1 inch intervals, making 13 strips on each side.
- 21Alternately, fold dough strips on a slight angle over filling forming a lattice. Seal open ends of dough.
- 22Slide foil with dough onto large rimmed baking sheet; trim foil overhang.
- 23Cover cake loosely with plastic wrap and towel. Allow to rise until light and puffy about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- 24Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake cake uncovered until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 25Gently run spatula under cake to loosen from foil. Cool 30 minutes.
- 26For Glaze:.
- 27Mix powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons orange juice in a small bowel to blend, adding more juice by 1/2 teaspoonfuls if too thick.
- 28Drizzle glaze over cake.
- 29Cut crosswise into slices. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed Apple Lattice Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.4
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 349.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 50.1 g
- Protein 5.7 g