Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I have had this recipe since 1965, soft cooky and tasty.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup room temperature shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely chopped unpared apple
- 1 cup sultana raisin
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift flour with baking soda.
- Mix shortening, salt, sugar,and spices with the egg until well blended.
- Stir in half the flour mixture, add the nuts, apple, and raisins.
- Blend in the juice.
- Beat in the remaining flour mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons.
- onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 11- 14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Make a glaze with the last ingredients, icing powder, salt, melted butter, and vanilla, and milk.
- When smooth, spread a thin layer over hot cookies.