Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
You can make these in any shape or use any colored sugar to suit the holiday.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jarred crystal sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl mix flour, cornstarch and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy and light (about 3 minutes) on medium speed.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness with floured rolling pin.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until lightly browned around the edges.
- Let stand on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transer to wire rack to cool.
- To make glaze: Stir water into the powdered sugar.
- Put in flat dish to make dipping easier.
- Dip top edge into glaze and then into the red sugar.
- (If it is too hard to dip, paint surface with small clean paint brush and then sprinkle with sugar).