Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I think America's Test Kitchen is my husband's favorite show.
Make and share this Glazed All-Beef Meat Loaf (Cook's Illustrated) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium celery rib, minced (About 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb ground chuck (Or use 85% Ground beef.)
- 21 saltines, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in center of oven.
- Prepare your cooking pan by placing a cooling rack over a baking pan with sides, then cover with aluminum foil; poke small holes every half inch or so and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the grated cheese on a plate and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add butter and cook until foamy; add onions and celery, cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
- Add in garlic, thyme, paprika; cook, stirring, about a minute.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in tomato juice; transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and broth; sprinkle with the gelatin and let sit 5 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, mustard, saltines, parsley, salt, pepper, and the onion mixture; crumble frozen cheese over top.
- Add ground beef and mix with hands until combined.
- Transfer meat mixture to prepared foil lined pan and form into a 10 x 6 inch loaf (it should be about 2 inches high).
- Bake to an internal temperature of 135 to 140 degrees F, about 55 to 65 minutes; remove from oven and set oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer.
- Stir until syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Spread half the glaze over the meatloaf and broil until bubbly and beginning to brown at the edges; repeat with remaining glaze.
- Let sit 20 minutes before slicing.
This is a very good meat loaf,I did make a few changes as I usually do.I added a little paprika and increased the garlic to 2.I made a sauce of tomato paste,catsup,brown sugar,apple cider vinegar and a dash of salt.This I will make again and I thank you for the recipe....really good.My fiance' likes it alot and wants sandwiche's from it in his lunch tomorrow.