1/3 Photos of Glazed All-Beef Meat Loaf (Cook's Illustrated)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I think America's Test Kitchen is my husband's favorite show.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium celery rib, minced (About 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb ground chuck (Or use 85% Ground beef.)
- 21 saltines, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in center of oven.
- 2Prepare your cooking pan by placing a cooling rack over a baking pan with sides, then cover with aluminum foil; poke small holes every half inch or so and spray with cooking spray.
- 3Place the grated cheese on a plate and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- 4Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add butter and cook until foamy; add onions and celery, cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
- 5Add in garlic, thyme, paprika; cook, stirring, about a minute.
- 6Reduce heat to low and stir in tomato juice; transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- 7In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and broth; sprinkle with the gelatin and let sit 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in soy sauce, mustard, saltines, parsley, salt, pepper, and the onion mixture; crumble frozen cheese over top.
- 9Add ground beef and mix with hands until combined.
- 10Transfer meat mixture to prepared foil lined pan and form into a 10 x 6 inch loaf (it should be about 2 inches high).
- 11Bake to an internal temperature of 135 to 140 degrees F, about 55 to 65 minutes; remove from oven and set oven to broil.
- 12Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer.
- 13Stir until syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- 14Spread half the glaze over the meatloaf and broil until bubbly and beginning to brown at the edges; repeat with remaining glaze.
- 15Let sit 20 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glazed All-Beef Meat Loaf (Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.5
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 136.3 mg
- Sodium 791.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 27.7 g