This is an old Bermudian favorite with school kids. A charity bake sale is not complete in Bermuda without glass candy! I'd walk away from the sale empty handed and disappointed if there wasn't any! You'd see me happily walking along the sidewalk with a piece of yummy glass candy wrapped in either a sandwich bag or waxed paper sticking out of my mouth, if they sold it! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring the sugar, water, and vinegar to a medium boil.
- 2Stir carefully so all the sugar is dissolved.
- 3Brush down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water if crystals begin to form.
- 4Cook for atleast 20 minutes.
- 5Add the butter and cook for another 10 minutes until you reach the "crack" stage on the candy thermometer (290 degrees).
- 6At this point, when a bit of the mixture is dropped into cold water, it instantly turns brittle.
- 7Meanwhile prepare a muffin tin by greasing well with vegetable shortening. These will serve as your moulds.
- 8Remove the molten candy from the stove and stir in the food coloring and flavouring of your choice.
- 9Now pour 1/8 to 1/4 inch of candy into each muffin cup.
- 10Cool completely.
- 11When cooled, turn upside down and give a few taps on the bottom and the candies should pop out.
- 12Wrap each in waxed paper.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Glass Candy
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.7
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 30.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 99.9 g
- Protein 0.0 g