Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is something my mom used to make at Christmas time. As a child, I loved the way it looked (and tasted).
- 887.21 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml light corn syrup
- 236.59 ml water
- 7.39 ml peppermint extract or 7.39 ml cinnamon extract or 7.39 ml orange extract, etc.
- food coloring
- You will need a candy thermometer.
- Mix first 3 ingredients in large saucepan.
- Stir over heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and stop stirring.
- Continue to boil until temperature reaches 310 degrees F, it may take 20- 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- After boiling has stopped, stir in extract& coloring of choice.
- Quickly, spread out onto a LIGHTLY greased baking sheet so that the candy is no more than 1/4 inch thick.
- Candy does not need to touch all edges of baking sheet.
- Cool, then break into pieces.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- SPECIAL NOTE: After reaching 310 degrees, I like to put 1/2 of mixture in a separate kettle, so that I can make two different colors and/or flavors.
Great stuff, but what a mess to clean up afterwards!
I have made this for years and still is a hit with family and friends.