Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This yummy recipe was given to me by my Stepmom. It was always a hit on our summer table and goes great with hotdogs, hamburgers, roasts and just about anything. Prep/Cook times do not include letting the mixture stand overnight to season.
- 10 cups fresh zucchini, unpeeled and ground (about 4 large)
- 4 cups ground onions
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups white vinegar
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- Mix first 3 listed ingredients together well and let stand overnight.
- In morning, drain; rinse in cold water and drain again.
- In large kettle mix the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- After a boil is reached, add the zucchini mix along with the green and red sweet pepper.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Pour into hot jars and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes, to seal.
I was gifted with a large bag of zucchini & squash so came searching for a recipe to try to make a relish. I was lucky when I found this one! The relish is stellar!! I used a mixture of squash to equal 6 cups, added 2 grated carrots, and 4 cups of cabbage. After soaking the veggies overnight I discovered I was out of tumeric so I substituted sweet curry powder. The relish is wonderful! Sweet, sour, and so much flavor. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will be using it all summer.
I have a batch of this cooking as I type. Very easy to put together. Nice aroma and tangy, not too hot to the taste. Yet another way to use all the bountiful zucchini out of my garden. Thank You...Trudy Neill, Indiana
I make a relish similar to this every year. I give a lot away and my brother gets his fair share. He will open a package of hot dogs and eat the whole jar in one sitting! Everyone loves this relish..