Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the "World Famous Vidalia Sweet Onion Recipes" cookbook published by Dasher Brothers' Farms in Glennville, Georgia. This recipe is marked in my book as a favorite in "vidalia" country..
- 5 no. 1 onions, sliced
- 12 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 lb sausage meat, browned and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimento pepper, well drained
- Put onions in bottom of 12" x 17" Pyrex dish.
- Add Ritz crackers, then sausage meat.
- Add a layer of onions, cream of mushroom soup, salt, and seasoning salt.
- Sprinkle layer of cheese and pimento.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400F for 1 hour.
Thought this was really good. Used hot sausage to give it a kick. The little bit that was left was even better for lunch the next day. Will make this again.
This was really good. I followed the recipe except I did not use the pimento peppers. I think this would be a good brunch dish served with eggs.