Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from The Complete Round the World Meat Cookbook. I think you could probably omit pouring the oil over the top, unless it looks terribly dry.
Top Review by Karyn S.
Followed the recipe exactly as presented. Found the dish not very flavourful, though hearty and filling. This recipe would be appropriate for people with sensitive palates. Others may wish to season it according to their own taste.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs top round beef, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet.
- Add meat and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a greased baking dish large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Spread meat over potatoes.
- Combine tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, pepper, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture over meat.
- Pour in broth.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover, pour remaining oil over top, and bake 20 minutes more.