Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Dig out your salad spinner and remove the juice and seeds from tomatoes for a refreshing Summer salad! Cook's Illustrated's Cherry Tomato and Watermelon Salad recipe published July 1, 2008 and in Test Kitchen Notes by email 08-14-09 -- Any good homegrown vine-ripened tomato cut into small pieces would do -- I like grape tomatoes year round! Quarter cherry tomatoes or, if using grape tomatoes, simply cut them in half along the equator (rather than quartering them) to expose the maximum amount of seeds and pulp. NOTE If you don't have a salad spinner, see directions below!
- 16 ounces grape tomatoes (2 cartons ~ cut cherry tomatoes in quarters or grape tomatoes in half lengthwise)
- table salt (see directions below for amounts)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium shallot (minced ~ about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or light olive oil)
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup watermelon (cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
- 4 ounces feta cheese (about 1 cup crumbled)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (rough chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and sugar in medium bowl; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes to salad spinner and spin until seeds and excess liquid have been removed, 45 to 60 seconds, stirring to redistribute tomatoes several times during spinning.
- NOTE 1: If you don't have a salad spinner, after the salted tomatoes stand for 30 minutes, wrap the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and gently shake to remove seeds and excess liquid. Strain the liquid and proceed with the recipe as directed. The amount of liquid given off by the tomatoes will depend on their ripeness. --------.
- Strain tomato liquid through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- NOTE 2: If you have less than 1/2 cup of juice after spinning, proceed with the recipe using the entire amount of juice and reduce it to 3 tablespoons as directed (cooking time will be shorter).
- Return tomatoes to bowl and set aside.
- Bring 1/2 cup tomato liquid (discard any extra), shallots, and vinegar to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to small bowl and cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in oil and pepper to taste until combined. Taste and season with up to 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Add watermelon, mint, feta, and cooled dressing to bowl with tomatoes; toss gently and serve.