Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I make this dish all the time in the winter and fall when it's cold. Super great comfort food that's perfect for a cozy dinner. I have made this dish with vegetable broth and margarine to make it vegan, butter and heavy cream to make it super rich and creamy, and with any combination of broth, milk, margarine, and butter depending on how skinny I'm feeling, who I'm making it for, and what I have on hand. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons onions or 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Melt the butter on low heat in a pan.
- Add the onions or shallot and cook for about a minute.
- Add the flour and stir until absorbed.
- Slowly stir in the milk or broth.
- Turn up the heat and bring the broth to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and once the broth has thickened add the peas.
- Heat through.
These were incredibly good. I did use heavy whipping cream. One of the people who ate it said that it was good, and she normally hates peas. I will definitely be making it again, but I might try it with milk next time.
I grew up with this. My mother made it when I was young, I have made if from time to time and it is always a hit. I have never put the onion in it just a white sauce with peas more or less. It is great and a good comfort food.
We love this, only change I make is to sub garlic powder for the onion, just our personal preference, great recipe!