My friend is from Italy and she gave me this recipe recently. It is from her friend who wrote the cookbook "Pasta in a Wok" by Francesca D'Orazio Buonerba. She now living in Singapore. We love it! It goes well with a light red wine and some fresh Italian bread. Mangia! It really is delicious. I put in the optional ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) box spaghetti or 1 (1 lb) box bucatini pasta
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (24 -35 ounce) canned whole tomatoes, drained, cut up, seeded
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1In a deep, large skillet, cook the pancetta in the olive oil until lightly crisp.
- 2Remove the pancetta from the pan onto paper towels to drain and set aside.
- 3In the same pan, add the chopped onion and cook until golden over a low heat and then add the tomatoes and any optional ingredients.
- 4Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the box, to just "al dente", and drain.
- 6Add the pasta to the tomatoes.
- 7Now add the cheese and the pancetta to the tomatoes and blend it all in the skillet.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gisella's Amatriciana Pasta With Pancetta
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.1
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 442.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese