Recipe by Oolala
My friend is from Italy and she gave me this recipe recently. It is from her friend who wrote the cookbook "Pasta in a Wok" by Francesca D'Orazio Buonerba. She now living in Singapore. We love it! It goes well with a light red wine and some fresh Italian bread. Mangia! It really is delicious. I put in the optional ingredients.
Top Review by Acerast
This was enjoyed by my family and will be on our table again! We liked the hint of heat from the crushed pepper and the chewy bits of pancetta. I chopped a large sweet onion which added loads of flavor. Yes it is "tomatoey" but that is a good thing for tomato lovers ;) Thanks Oolala!
- 1 (1 lb) box spaghetti or 1 (1 lb) box bucatini pasta
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (24 -35 ounce) canned whole tomatoes, drained, cut up, seeded
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep, large skillet, cook the pancetta in the olive oil until lightly crisp.
- Remove the pancetta from the pan onto paper towels to drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped onion and cook until golden over a low heat and then add the tomatoes and any optional ingredients.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the box, to just "al dente", and drain.
- Add the pasta to the tomatoes.
- Now add the cheese and the pancetta to the tomatoes and blend it all in the skillet.
- Serve immediately.