Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is Stephanie Izard's, and is served at her restaurant Girl& the Goat in Chicago. I recommend checking out Stephanie's video to see how she slices the cauliflower for optimal cooking in this dish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk_TYmX2uIQ
- 29.58 ml oil
- 946.36 ml cauliflower, sliced
- salt, to taste
- 29.58 ml water
- 4.92 ml crunch butter (recipe follows)
- 14.79 ml pine nuts, toasted
- 29.58 ml pickled peppers
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 14.79 ml mint, torn
- 9.85 ml pine nuts, toasted
- 9.85 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 9.85 ml mint, torn
FOR CRUNCH BUTTER
- 113.39 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml panko breadcrumbs
- salt, to taste
- TO MAKE CRUNCH BUTTER:.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine all ingredients and whip until light and fluffy.
- TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER:.
- Heat oil in saute pan.
- Add cauliflower and cook until carmelized. Toss and continue to cook until carmelized on all sides. Season with salt.
- Add water and steam cauliflower until cooked.
- Add crunch butter and toss to coat. Then add pine nuts and pickled pepper. Toss until heated.
- Remove from heat. Add parmesan and mint. Toss to combine.
- Plate or platter as desired and garnish with additional parmesan, pine nuts, and mint.
I'm going to go ahead and review this recipe without ever having made it. Why? Because I've ordered it from Girl & the Goat and I can testify to the fact that IT...IS...AWESOME! So awesome, in fact, that it has become my gold standard for vegetable side dishes. To date, I've not found any, by restaurant or recipe, that matches it (although I came close -- only once -- with a green bean dish from a place called Little Bird in Portland, OR).
Make this now, or forever live in a world of unrealized culinary satisfaction.