Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
Finally had this at the truck in Haleiwa on Oahu. Amazing! If you don't like garlic, then don't bother. The secret is to leave the shells on the shrimp while cooking. This is a pretty close replica.
- 12 large raw shrimp, deveined
- 1 head garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 lemon wedge
- 2 scoops sticky white rice, for serving
- Rinse shrimp in cool running water and lightly pat dry. Stir the shrimp, garlic, salt, pepper, flour and butter gently together in a covered container. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour. Remove from fridge and let sit at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high until hot. Pour contents of container into pan and sauté shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side. Once the garlic begins to brown, turn off heat. Remove the shrimp immediately and serve with the rice and lemon wedge. Spoon the extra sauce over the rice and shrimp.