Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I'm posting this for those who need a recipe for their Christmas leftovers.This uses cooked turkey. Went to the Earl's Court food show and fell in love with Giorgio Locatelli - and his turkey meatballs. They're delicious. We tasted them at the show - made by Giorgio's own hands! They can be used for appetisers or as part of a meal. Giorgio stores them in the sauce for ages! Not being a turkey lover,I bought some turkey just to make these! They need chilling time and infusing time, but can be made ahead. You can chop the turkey in a food processor.
- 59 g day old dry country bread
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 300 g cooked turkey, minced
- 200 g boiled potatoes, mashed
- 50 g parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 small eggs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25 g parsley, chopped
- 1 small lemon, zest of, grated
- 100 g dry white breadcrumbs
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 200 ml olive oil
- 2 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 50 g sultanas, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, then drained
- Cut off the crusts from the bread and soak the bread in the milk.
- Meanwhile, put the minced turkey in a bowl with the potatoes and mix well. Add the parmesan, eggs, garlic, parsley, lemon zest and seasoning. stir well until the mixture comes together.
- Squeeze out the soaked bread, add to the mixture and give it a good stir. Shape the mixture into 12 small balls and flatten them so they look like mini burgers. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Put the olive oil in a pan with the juniper berries and bay leaves and heat gently to infuse the oil. Add the onions and cook for about 20 minutes, until soft, but now browned. Pour in the white wine vinegar and add the sultanas. Cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Press the meatballs in the breadcrumbs to coat them. Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan, add the meatballs and fry gently for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through.
- Drain the meatballs on kitchen paper and place on a roasting tin or large shallow dish. Pour the sauce over the meatballs and leave to infuse for 1 hour before serving.