Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Packed with spicy goodness and flavors, this is healthy and indulgent, especially with cream cheeze frosting(see below)! I modified it from John Robbins' "May All Be Fed".
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice (preferably unfiltered, but doesn't have to be)
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil (or other light vegetable oil)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 4 -5 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 orange, zest of
- 3 medium carrots, grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, finely grated
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Put the first six ingredients in a blender (juice to orange zest) and blend until smooth. Add the ginger and carrot, and pulse just to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly oil an 8-by-8 square pan, or a 9-inch round pan, and dust thoroughly with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (except the 2/3 cup raisins) together.
- Add the wet mixture, rinsing out the blender with 2-3 Tbsp water, into the dry. Combine so that everything, or almost everything, is moistened; just be very careful not to overmix!
- Fold in the raisins and walnuts, if using (I prefer it without them).
- The batter should be fairly thick. Pour it into the prepared pan and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, testing the middle with a toothpick when it looks possibly done. Give it a few extra minutes, if necessary, to begin to get goldy-brown around the edges. Then it should be fully baked.
- Let cool before cutting and serving. Travels well and should be stored in the fridge, where it will keep up to a week; it tastes best reheated.
- Be sure to serve with Orangey Vegan Cream Cheeze Frosting!