Recipe by Geema
I always double or triple this recipe because they disappear so fast. My DH eats them by the bowlfull. I use them for hor d'ouvres, on salad, with sandwiches or just as a snack treat when I open the refrigerator and see how pretty they look in the jar.
Top Review by terragal
High summer in Wisconsin, and loads of veggies to deal with. This recipe is a big hit with friends and family all around! I blanched green and yellow beans and threw them in too,yum! Already passed this recipe(and the website) on to 3 people! Thanks Geema
- 2 pickling cucumbers, sliced thickly
- 1⁄2 cup peeled thin sliced fresh ginger
- 2 small dried hot chili peppers or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (more if you like it red hot)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups carrots, diagonal slices,1/2 inch thick
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonreactive (not aluminium) saucepan, bring to a boil the ginger, chili peppers, vinegar, sugar, water and salt.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the carrots.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Add the veggies to the pan, mixing well.
- Transfer the veggies and liquid to a 2 quart jar.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Don't eat for 3 days while they are getting perfectly pickled.
- Refrigerated, these pickles will last for several weeks.