Recipe by Kim Petro
OK so I saw this recipe in a magazine I was flipping through at work one day. It looked so good that I decided to jot it down. Silly me I forgot to write down the name of the magazine. I'm slowly becoming addicted to Quinoa and any new recipe is definately worth a try. I'm glad I tried this one. Very good!
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups beets or 1 1⁄2 cups carrot juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast almonds in saucepan over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes. Cool.
- Wipe out saucepan, add oil and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in ginger, quinoa, and juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and spread peas over cooked quinoa.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes, until peas are thawed.
- Stir apple, coconut, and almonds into salad.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.