After the 6th or 7th batch of assorted muscadine jams I decided to play with the flavors a little. This is strong with ginger and fragrant with the citrus. The family is split, DH and DD think the ginger is too strong, one of the boys and I think its perfect. You can feel free to reduce the amount if you like. Its prettier made with the bronze, scuppernong type grapes but tastes just as good made with the purple ones. Prep time includes cooking the pulp and the hulls. Cooking time does not include processing the jars in the boiling water bath.
My Private Note
1/2 pin ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare grapes by cutting partway through the skin and popping the pulp/seed capsule out of the hull. Put pulp into one pot and the hulls into another.
- 2Simmer the pulp, covered, on low-medium until soft enough to press through sieve or food mill ~ 10 minutes. Add just a little water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- 3Meanwhile, chop hulls very finely in the food processor and return to their pot. Add just enough water to make it possible to simmer without sticking. Cook slowly, covered, 10 minutes or until hulls are softened.
- 4Peel lemon and the orange. Chop peel finely. Use entire peel, including the white part, to ensure good jelling.
- 5Juice the lemon and the orange.
- 6Peel and mince ginger.
- 7Press pulp through a sieve or food mill to remove seeds. Stir sieved pulp into cooked hulls in a large pot.
- 8Add citrus juice, citrus peel, and ginger. Bring to a boil.
- 9Stir in sugar and return to a boil.
- 10Simmer, stirring frequently until the jellying point is reached ~ 45-90 minutes. Timing is approximate and will vary depending on conditions and the amount of natural pectin in the fruit. Check frequently.
- 11Pack into hot, sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- 12Note: Prettier made with Scuppernongs (bronze muscadines), than with the purple varieties. Can add a few purple ones to provide additional flecks of color.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingery Muscadine Marmalade
Serving Size: 1 (2831 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 771.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 199.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 195.3 g
- Protein 1.5 g