Recipe by Sharon123
This is best when made several days before eaten. Put on top of salad greens, or on mixed with hot rice. You may use canned chick peas for this. I got this from an old notebook which I had written recipes in a long time ago. I suspect it comes from Moosewood cookbook. Prep time does not include cooking of chickpeas.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Went well and perfectly I thought with a Middle Eastern-themed dinner tonight. I used red onion and scallions for color. However herbs like cilantro, parsley, basil or oregano would work, too. I didn't have time to marinate the salad for more than a few hours but it was good and I can only imagine it will taste even better tomorrow what little is remaining. Thank you! Reviewed for Veg Tag/July.
- 3 cups dried garbanzo beans, soaked at least 4 hours, cooked till tender, 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours (or use 4-4 1/2 cups canned)
- 5 -6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely minced gingerroot
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced red onion
- fresh ground black pepper