Recipe by Engrossed
I don't remember where I got this recipe but it's good and healthy! If you enjoy a stronger flavor feel free to increase the garlic, ginger and spices. I usually do in all recipes I make but I hadn't made this in awhile so I posted the original.
Top Review by Maggie, Cooking
Great flavor! I did add more of the garlic, curry powder and ginger as others suggested, and I also needed to add more broth simply because it started getting dry before the lentils were done. At that point, instead of chopping more garlic and ginger, I just added a little garlic powder and powdered ginger, and it still tasted great. Thank you for sharing this!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth, plus
- 1⁄2 cup water, enough to equal 4 cups
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrot and onion; cover and cook 3 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add curry, salt and pepper; cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in diluted broth and lentils; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls.