Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fresh ginger adds even more zip to the traditional recipe.
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked and cooled (Your favourite)
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled,thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely chop ginger with 1 cup+ 6 tblsps sugar in mini-processor until moist paste forms, about 25 seconds.
- Combine lemon juice, water and ginger paste in medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Let steep 1 hour at room temperature.
- Strain lemon mixture into bowl, pressing on solids.
- Discard solids.
- Return liquid to saucepan.
- Add cornstarch; whisk until dissolved.
- Whisk in yolks.
- Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- Cover and chill until cold, about 3 hours (can be made up to 1 day ahead).
- For meringue: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spoon filling into crust, smoothing top.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar; beat until stiff and glossy.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Spoon meringue over filling, spreading to edge of crust to seal.
- Bake pie until meringue is light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Let stand atleast 5 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.