Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fresh ginger adds even more zip to the traditional recipe.
Make and share this Gingery Lemon Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Finely chop ginger with 1 cup+ 6 tblsps sugar in mini-processor until moist paste forms, about 25 seconds.
- Combine lemon juice, water and ginger paste in medium saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Let steep 1 hour at room temperature.
- Strain lemon mixture into bowl, pressing on solids.
- Discard solids.
- Return liquid to saucepan.
- Add cornstarch; whisk until dissolved.
- Whisk in yolks.
- Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- Cover and chill until cold, about 3 hours (can be made up to 1 day ahead).
- For meringue: Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spoon filling into crust, smoothing top.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar; beat until stiff and glossy.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Spoon meringue over filling, spreading to edge of crust to seal.
- Bake pie until meringue is light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Let stand atleast 5 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.