Fresh ginger adds even more zip to the traditional recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked and cooled (Your favourite)
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled,thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1Finely chop ginger with 1 cup+ 6 tblsps sugar in mini-processor until moist paste forms, about 25 seconds.
- 2Combine lemon juice, water and ginger paste in medium saucepan.
- 3Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- 4Bring to boil.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Let steep 1 hour at room temperature.
- 7Strain lemon mixture into bowl, pressing on solids.
- 8Discard solids.
- 9Return liquid to saucepan.
- 10Add cornstarch; whisk until dissolved.
- 11Whisk in yolks.
- 12Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- 13Transfer to a bowl; cool.
- 14Cover and chill until cold, about 3 hours (can be made up to 1 day ahead).
- 15For meringue: Preheat oven to 400F.
- 16Spoon filling into crust, smoothing top.
- 17Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy.
- 18Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar; beat until stiff and glossy.
- 19Mix in vanilla.
- 20Spoon meringue over filling, spreading to edge of crust to seal.
- 21Bake pie until meringue is light golden, about 5 minutes.
- 22Let stand atleast 5 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingery Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.4
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.6 mg
- Sodium 147.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 43.8 g
- Protein 4.0 g