Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens 2004 Christmas Cookies Magazine
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender blossoms
- 1 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl, combine flour, sugar, crystallized ginger, lavender, and ground ginger.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling.
- Form mixture into a ball; knead until smooth (dough may be crumbly at first but will come together as you work it with your hands).
- Roll or pat dough onto prepared cookie sheet in 11 x 6 rectangle.
- With large knife, carefully halve rectangle lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 16 slices.
- Do not separate slices.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are light brown and center is set.
- Re-cut the rectangle and separate the slices while warm.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To Store: Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
This shortbread is wonderful. Used my food processor to pulse all of the ingredients. The shortbread cut nicely into 16 slices. I sprinkled vanilla sugar over the top right after the shortbread came out of the oven. Yummy. Thank you for sharing .. I'm always looking for new recipes for my Lavender.