Recipe by Smilyn
From Better Homes and Gardens 2004 Christmas Cookies Magazine
Top Review by Chef Sharron
This shortbread is wonderful. Used my food processor to pulse all of the ingredients. The shortbread cut nicely into 16 slices. I sprinkled vanilla sugar over the top right after the shortbread came out of the oven. Yummy. Thank you for sharing .. I'm always looking for new recipes for my Lavender.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender blossoms
- 1 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl, combine flour, sugar, crystallized ginger, lavender, and ground ginger.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling.
- Form mixture into a ball; knead until smooth (dough may be crumbly at first but will come together as you work it with your hands).
- Roll or pat dough onto prepared cookie sheet in 11 x 6 rectangle.
- With large knife, carefully halve rectangle lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 16 slices.
- Do not separate slices.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are light brown and center is set.
- Re-cut the rectangle and separate the slices while warm.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To Store: Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.