Recipe by COOKGIRl
Every once in awhile one has to indulge that craving for fried...From Quick and Simple magazine, July 2006. The original recipe deep fries the chicken but since I don't own a deep fryer I pan fried the chicken instead. This is great with plum sauce! (I wonder what this would be like with tofu...??)
Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
Thanks for the non alcoholic note CG. I used Apple juice. I was scared because of the ginger I have to say but these were surprisingly good and my 2 year old gobbled them up. Thank you Made for ZWT 6 by fellow Looney SPoon. :)
- 2 tablespoons mirin (read *NOTE) or 2 tablespoons dry white wine (read *NOTE)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- vegetable oil, for frying
- green onion, slices for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE: Substitute 2 tablespoon apple juice or white grape juice for non-alcoholic version.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the wine, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat. Cover chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- In large bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup water. Stir the marinated chicken into the batter.
- Pour some oil to a depth of about 1/4 inch into a deep, heavy frying pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, a few pieces at a time; do not crowd. Cook the meat until crisp and brown, approximately 3-4 minutes each side.
- Place the cooked chicken on a tray lined with a paper towel and drain. Transfer to serving platter and garnish with green onion slices.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.