Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In '300 Best Stir-Fry Recipes' by Nancie McDermott
Make and share this Gingery Chicken With Black Bean Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved black beans (Chinese-style black beans)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (or chicken thighs)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- In a bowl, combine chicken stock, sherry, water, soy sauce, cornstarch and sugar and stir well into a smooth sauce; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine black beans, ginger and garlic and using a spoon, stir and mash gently, just enough to mix together a bit, but not into a smooth paste; set aside.
- Place a bowl next to the stove to hold green peppers and onions after their initial cooking.
- Heat a wok or a large deep skillet over high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and swirl to coat pan.
- Add peppers and onion and cook, tossing often, until peppers are softened and onion is fragrant, 1 minute.
- Transfer to reserved bowl, leaving behind as much oil as possible.
- Add remaining vegetable oil, and as soon as it is hot, add black bean mixture.
- Toss well, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add chicken and spread into a single layer.
- Cook, undisturbed, until edges turn white, about 1 minute.
- Return green peppers and onion to pan, along with any accumulated juices.
- Cook, tossing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and green peppers are tender-crisp, 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir soy sauce mixture and add to pan, pouring in around sides.
- When it heats up and begins to bubble, toss well and cook, tossing once or twice, until it thickens into a glistening sauce on chicken and vegetables.
- Add sesame oil and toss once more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; serve hot.
- May serve over hot cooked rice.