In '300 Best Stir-Fry Recipes' by Nancie McDermott
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved black beans (Chinese-style black beans)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (or chicken thighs)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1In a bowl, combine chicken stock, sherry, water, soy sauce, cornstarch and sugar and stir well into a smooth sauce; set aside.
- 2In a small bowl, combine black beans, ginger and garlic and using a spoon, stir and mash gently, just enough to mix together a bit, but not into a smooth paste; set aside.
- 3Place a bowl next to the stove to hold green peppers and onions after their initial cooking.
- 4Heat a wok or a large deep skillet over high heat.
- 5Add 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and swirl to coat pan.
- 6Add peppers and onion and cook, tossing often, until peppers are softened and onion is fragrant, 1 minute.
- 7Transfer to reserved bowl, leaving behind as much oil as possible.
- 8Add remaining vegetable oil, and as soon as it is hot, add black bean mixture.
- 9Toss well, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- 10Add chicken and spread into a single layer.
- 11Cook, undisturbed, until edges turn white, about 1 minute.
- 12Return green peppers and onion to pan, along with any accumulated juices.
- 13Cook, tossing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and green peppers are tender-crisp, 1-2 minutes more.
- 14Stir soy sauce mixture and add to pan, pouring in around sides.
- 15When it heats up and begins to bubble, toss well and cook, tossing once or twice, until it thickens into a glistening sauce on chicken and vegetables.
- 16Add sesame oil and toss once more.
- 17Transfer to a serving bowl; serve hot.
- 18May serve over hot cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingery Chicken With Black Bean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.9
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.5 mg
- Sodium 246.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 13.7 g