Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Soup of the Day’
- 2 green onions
- 2 cups beef broth
- fresh ginger, 2 inch piece peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 baby bok choy, quartered
- 1⁄4 lb cremini mushroom, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces soba noodles
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- hot sauce, such as Sriracha, for serving
- Thinly slice the green onions, reserving the white and pale green parts in one bowl and the dark green parts in a separate bowl.
- In a large, heavy pot, combine the broth, 3 cups water, the ginger, garlic, and the white and light green parts of the green onion and bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid discarding the solids, and return the broth to the pot.
- Season with salt and keep warm over low heat.
- In a frying pan over med-high heat, warm the oil.
- Add the bok choy and mushrooms and sauté, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to caramelize and soften, about 6 minutes; set aside.
- Return the broth to a boil and add the soba noodles.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- Add the bok choy, mushrooms and soy sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve, garnished with the dark green onions slices.
- Pass the hot sauce at the table.