A far cry from your average waffles, I think the ginger makes all the difference. Use only fresh ginger, and grate fresh right before using. I usually can't find molasses, so I use dark corn syrup instead. Cooking times will vary, dependent on waffle maker. From the Great American Favorite Brand Name Cookbook.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 medium bananas, extra-ripe
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses or 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs with brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Puree extra-ripe bananas in blender.
- Beat pureed bananas, milk, molasses or dark corn syrup, and melted butter into egg mixture; add to dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
- Pour 3/4 cup batter in middle of waffle iron and cook until golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with additional sliced bananas and maple syrup (or try a tropical syrup, such as coconut or guava).