Recipe by Maryland Jim
I found this recipe in a old church fundraising book. It's been a while since I've made them. Submitting for ZWT3.
Top Review by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
This is a brilliant recipe! I used brown sugar for the biscuits and regular sugar for rolling them in, used 1 tsp ginger instead of 1/2 and yet it wasn't overpowering, I forgot to add in the cloves! The students here loved it and their comment, "Never tasted anything like this"! Thank you, Maryland Jim, for sharing this fabulous recipe, this one is definitely a keeper! :)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses and egg.
- Stir in sifted, flour, salt and baking soda.
- Then cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Roll, into walnut-sized balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 7 to 8 minutes. Cookie will flatten out while baking.