Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a old church fundraising book. It's been a while since I've made them. Submitting for ZWT3.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses and egg.
- Stir in sifted, flour, salt and baking soda.
- Then cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Roll, into walnut-sized balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 7 to 8 minutes. Cookie will flatten out while baking.
This is a brilliant recipe! I used brown sugar for the biscuits and regular sugar for rolling them in, used 1 tsp ginger instead of 1/2 and yet it wasn't overpowering, I forgot to add in the cloves! The students here loved it and their comment, "Never tasted anything like this"! Thank you, Maryland Jim, for sharing this fabulous recipe, this one is definitely a keeper! :)
Wonderful!!!! They are the best!!! I subbed in margarine for the shortening, cuz mine seemed off. And they were still soft and chewy! Made for ZWT 4.
This is a great cookie, nice and soft. The only thing I changed is the sugar in the recipe. I used brown sugar instead of white. Other than that, awesome!