Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are the ultimate Gingersnap cookie, thanks to the lemon juice. Snappy and sweety and chewy--all in one little cookie. Rolled in sugar, cracked top, loaded with flavor. Take 'em to the fair--you'll win a BLUE RIBBON!--cuz they turn out perfectly EVERY time!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and molasses, mixing well.
- Add dry ingredients and continue mixing. Dough should form a ball.
- Cover bowl with plastic and pop in the fridge for 20-30 minutes until dough is pliable.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls; roll in EXTRA white sugar (you CAN skip this step, but why would you want to?).
- Place on UNgreased cookie sheet, about two inches apart. They will spread out, so you don't need to press them down.
- Bake 12-13 minutes until top is crackly. Cool on rack, then store in covered container.
- During humid weather: store in tightly sealed container or they will get VERY limp and bedraggled.
These biscuits were good, I used margarine instead of shortening, and half treacle half golden syrup as I didn't quite have enough. I added a bit more flour as the dough didn't seem quite thick enough, I thought because of the butter. They didn't really "snap"- they were crunchy around the edge but soft in the middle, I think if I'd cooked them a bit longer they would have crunched up. I'll definitely cook them again! (plus, my husband LOVED them!). Edited to add- I had these the next day and they were definitely crispy! Fantastic biscuits- I'm sorry I reviewed them so soon!
Excellent gingersnap cookies! They go together very quickly and easily and are loaded with flavor. I halved the recipe and after tasting them, I wished I had made a full recipe. My family loved these and gave them 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful cookie recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!