1/4 Photos of Gingersnaps!
Jenny Sanders's Note:
I have been having a real craving for gingersnaps lately. I made five batches for Christmas, and I am still in the mood for them - they are just sooo good. One of my friends said these were the best gingersnaps she had ever had. How 'bout that, eh? NOTE: it is important to use pastry flour for these cookies, otherwise the dough will be strange and unworkable. I tried a batch using supposedly "all-purpose" whole wheat flour (but it was really formulated for bread) and ended up throwing out the dough because it just didn't work. You can use all whole wheat flour, or all white flour, just so long as it is soft.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups soft whole wheat flour
- 1 cup soft unbleached flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (I use Sucanat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light molasses, warmed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 2Warm the molasses, and mix the molasses, oil and water.
- 3If the molasses is not warm enough to dissolve into the water, they can all be warmed a little together- the microwave is fine for this.
- 4Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- 5The dough should be quite stiff, and not particularly sticky.
- 6If it is too soft and sticky, add a little more flour.
- 7Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 8Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thick, and cut out with cookie cutters.
- 9Place cookies on cookie trays which have been lined with parchment paper, or lightly oiled.
- 10Re-roll and cut the scraps, until the dough is gone.
- 11Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, until lightly browned and set- they will harden up as they cool.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gingersnaps!
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.1
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 107.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 1.2 g